Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

DO Holidays - Feather Your Nest

We all love a comfy cozy home, especially at the holidays.  But how can we make our home beautiful without making our lives crazy?  If you've been putting it off but can't seem to get going let today be the day.  Remember these things when you're feeling daunted about getting started.

Cut yourself some slack
If you don't put up every piece of holiday decor you own no one will know but you!  Remember that we are always our own worst critics. 

Focus on the Big 3
Simplify this year and do the Door, Mantle & Tree.  If you have the energy and time for the dining room table add that on.  But don't stress if you don't get to it.  No holiday towels in the guest bathroom?  No worries! 

Simplify
If the idea of pulling out all 250 of your Christmas tree ornaments has you wanting to curl up on the couch to watch reruns of 80s game shows then skip it.  Put up your tree (real or artificial), add a lot of lights, wrap it in ribbon and put a giant bow on top.  It will look beautiful.

Go Fresh! 
Rather than dusting off all those boxes in the attic, consider heading to your local florist for a beautiful arrangement for your table.  Or go to the nursery for a swag of greenery for the mantle.  If you are feeling creative, grab the kids and head outside.  Gather pine cones and greenery.  Use these plus a bunch of walnuts, oranges & pomegranates from the grocery store to make simple but gorgeous arrangements for your home.

Delegate
If your kids are school aged they are old enough to help with the decorations.  Give them a few "assignments" and offer rewards.  For example - if they make paper chains and gather the pinecones have cocoa & Oreos waiting when they are done.

And my last tip for holiday decorating is to take care of yourself.  Pick one thing you love - a favorite ornament, a framed photo of your baby's first Christmas - and put it somewhere you'll see it every single day that's just for you.  This year I took a little tray I had previously used for a tablescape and moved it to my dresser.  I put my little Swarovski crystal tree (a gift from many years ago) and a picture of my kids with from last Christmas on it.  Every night when I take off my rings and get ready for sleep I see these things and smile.  And I get to see them again when I get up and get dressed.  It's my own simple corner of Christmas cheer.

For beautiful decorating inspiration, check out Layla & Kevin's blog at The Lettered Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...