Whether moving across the street, across town or across the country, there is one box that everyone needs to pack. This is what I like to call the OPEN ME FIRST box. I've had one with every move I've made, from apartments in the city to grad school housing to cross-country relocations and home purchases.
Food & Kitchen Essentials
When the movers leave the last of the boxes you're going to be hungry. You'll probably also be feeling too grungy to go out to eat so bring something with you.
* Paper Plates
* Plastic Silverware
* Water Bottles
* Non-perishable snacks
* Phone number to a local pizza/chinese/sandwich delivery place - look it up in advance and program into your phone!
* Roll of paper towels - these will be multi-purpose, you might want two!
* Dish soap - a small bottle will do
* Kitchen towel
* Bottle of bubbly & some plastic cups - everyone needs to celebrate! (champagne has the advantage over wine here as it doesn't require a corkscrew to open... one less thing to bring with you)
* Hand soap
* Toilet paper - at least one roll for each bathroom
* Hand towel (optional, paper towels could substitute)
Yes, your new digs should be clean but chances are you're going to want to wipe down one or two things before you use them the first time.
* Paper Towels (the 2nd roll mentioned above!)
* Glass & surface cleaner (an all-in-one works well)
At the end of that grubby day, a nice hot shower will feel great. Be prepared!
* Shower curtain liner - you don't need to hang all your lovely decorative shower curtains, but a $3 plastic liner will serve you well those first few days.
* Shampoo, conditioner, soap
* Bath towels (probably one for every family member)
* Toothpaste & toothbrush (floss is optional. Always recommended but if you get a pass on flossing any day in your life, I firmly believe it should be moving day)
* Blow dryer
* Hair brush
* Sheets for each bed you'll use
* Pillows for each family member
* Blanket for bed
* Alarm Clock (or mobile phone with an alarm feature)
* Kleenex (optional - moving makes me sneeze, but you could use TP instead)
Rise & Shine Essentials
That first morning will be exciting and daunting as you look at the boxes.
* Light breakfast - a bag of bagels & jar of peanut butter work well for us.
* Overnight bag for each family member (change of clothes and any necessary toiletries, makeup, medications, eye glasses, etc.)
* Cell phone chargers
* Cash for tipping the movers
* Scissors! - Seriously so many uses.
Okay, so that might be two boxes. Or a box and an overnight bag for each family member. But you get the idea. Pack some things you'll really need that first night so you don't have to rummage through all your boxes.
The key is that if you finish up the move late in the evening, you'll be able to grab a bite to eat, wash of the dust, fall into bed and hit the ground running the next morning.
If you are local to Colorado and looking for a great real estate agent to help you make your next big move, check out one of these fantastic realtors: