We're moving out of the kitchen today and into the bedroom!
Now don't be scared! This isn't meant to be an all-day endeavor. Just take 5 minutes if that's what you have. You can do a lot in 5 minutes. If you have all-day and are really feeling motivated, then by all means feel-free to do a full purge. I won't stop you. But make sure you really have the time to devote to it. I don't want you neglecting other duties to make this happen. Decluttering & organizing should be part of your regular routine, not a disruption of your entire life.
The challenge: take 5-10 minutes (set the timer if you have to) and take an honest look at your closet. Pull out anything you know you won't wear again. This includes things that:
- don't fit (especially if it's too big!)
- in disrepair - holes, snags, broken zippers, missing buttons you know you'll never fix
- not yours (seriously... if you have clothes from your old roommate or your mom or your sister, get rid of them!)
- not your style - I know you know what I mean. We all have that item that we bought on a whim thinking it was so cool. But once we got it home (and ripped the tags off & lost the receipt of course) we realized it really wasn't consistent with our style and/or body type. Let it go!
- Shoes that pinch your toes
- Shoes that have seen better days
What should you NOT do... please do not purge your husband's closet! Discarding someone else's stuff is, quite honestly, a big violation of their privacy. We feel protective of our stuff, especially those clothes that have memories for us (like his holey old college t-shirt!) So if his side of the closet needs a little purging, invite him to join you for your 5-10 minute session. But don't just toss out his stuff.