Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Coat Closet Makeover

This is a project I did quite some time ago but I never had the chance to share it with all of you.




My house has one of the smallest coat closets.  It is 23 1/2 inches wide - not even 2 feet.  It came equipped with a rod and a shelf when we purchased our home.  And the door is a bi-fold.  It looked like this before:



It was housing kids coats, adults coats, a hanging thing for hats & gloves (that kept falling out), and our vacuum.  The coats would often fall off the hangers when we moved the vacuum in or out.

One day I couldn't take it any more and headed off to Home Depot.  I installed a Closet Maid organizer.  Since the closet wasn't quite 2 feet none of the standard stuff fit.  I found what I wanted and the nice men in the rental tool department cut down the rods & shelves to be 23".  This gave me a little wiggle room on each side. 

The installation was easy.  The adjustable bracket hooks installed with simple anchored screws and the shelves hooked right on.  The hard part was removing the old shelf support.  It was connected with a lot of nails.  Then I had to fumble around the basement to find the old paint color to touch up the spots under the old shelf supports.

I installed a two layer rod so that my kids can easily access their own coats.  And the adjustable height will allow me to move the rods up as they grow.





The vacuum got a new home upstairs. 

The top shelf now houses my diaper bags (too many!) and a giant bin for rarely used hates & gloves.  I still need to work a new solution for that bin (actually, since these are rarely used I will probably just leave them as is - these are the heavy duty ones we use for shoveling snow and whatnot). 

Have you updated a tired coat closet?  I'd love to see before & after!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...